Friday 27 March 2009

Grammatics

Quick post before weekend hilarity ensues. If you don't like reading just listen to this track and know that it has my blessing, if your attention span is longer than mine do continue.
I have little faith in guitar music at the moment, generally speaking obviously, but I have just purchased in a physical form Grammatics self titled debut album. They are a Leeds band which is the main reason I bought it - support my own and all that. Regardless of such factors it is a great album, it could have been made at any point in the last 10 years but dont let that put you off. It has post leanings, string flourishes, proper songs, an underlying melancholy essential for anything that I like, and impassioned vocals that some might put down as too posty for conventional ears but I would put down as unabashed youthful exuberance. If I listen to a band and get the sense I am cooler than them, there is no chance of anything they say having any impact on me, Grammatics are cooler than me, they are allowed in the club. I think one of the reasons I like them so much is because they remind me of running around Leeds getting into mischief and watching little bands in the likes of Joseph's Well and the Fav. Anyway track the album down, support little labels, and raise a glass to the simplicity of youth.

1 comment:

yeahbigapple said...

There's an underlying melancholy to NAS?