Monday 15 December 2008

Arcade Dreams


from an interview between Win Butler of Arcade Fire and AVclub.com in March 2007

"AVC: Is there part of you that thinks we might be past the point of no return?

WB: All the time. I've seen Barack Obama speak a couple of times, and I really like him. There's something going on behind his eyes, and I think he's really intelligent. But part of me just knows it's going to be Giuliani and Hillary Clinton, which really bums me out. But part of me wants to believe that it could be Barack Obama and John McCain, and there'd be an actual debate. The country needs a real debate so badly. A lot of times, politicians try to overwhelm the general public with how complex an issue is. In a way, I think that's why the anti-war movement in the States isn't as big as it should be. People are overwhelmed by the complexity of the situation, but I don't think a 16-year-old should have to know how to solve the problems in the Middle East to be like, "Fuck, we should not be in this war." But there's this idea that you have to know how to solve the world's problems in order to feel that something is morally wrong. I'm always back and forth between optimism and depression about the situation."

No comments: